Being involved in a car accident is a traumatic experience for anyone. Keeping yourself calm and remembering a few key tips can help you stay in control of a situation that can normally make you feel completely helpless.
Seek Medical Attention
At the scene of your accident, you should always make seeking medical help your first priority. Your well-being and the health of everyone involved in the accident is more important than anything else. If you are severely injured, you will likely find yourself being transported to the hospital.
Document the Scene of the Accident
Once your medical needs are taken care of, you or your trusted family member or friend should take steps to document the scene of the accident:
- Photograph the scene. Use or cell phone or camera to take pictures of the accident scene from different angles. Include damage to the vehicles and as much of the surrounding scene as possible.
- Gather witness information. Get contact information for the other drivers and any witnesses.
- Do not admit liability to anyone.
- Request a police report from responding officers. Get their names and badge numbers.
After Your Accident
Following your accident, it is a good idea to speak to an experienced car accident attorney to protect your rights and ensure that you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and property damage.
- Do not sign anything or settle with the insurance company until you have consulted a lawyer.
- Inform your insurance company that you have been in an accident.
- Remember to keep track of your medical treatment from doctors, chiropractors, physical therapists or any other medical professionals.
If you or your loved one has been injured in a car accident, please call 561-533-6700 for your free consultation with one of our experienced Palm Beach car accident attorneys. We welcome clients throughout Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, and nearby areas.